Day 23: Sasquatch stories

Finishing Section 14
~5 miles

I open my eyes at 5:30, stretch, and slip on shoes to go pee near the tent. We have just a few miles to walk today to the road, and no particular rush, so I curl back into my sleeping bag. Granite rustles and leaves at some point, and I curl up and keep sleeping.

When I wake, it's light outside and the sun cascades through leafy trees and onto the tent. It's 8:30 AM. I slept 11.5 hours.

I exit the tent and walk the 10 minutes back to the campground to use their latrine, since scattered car campers make privacy hard to come by. I eat a simple breakfast and pack.

I'm ready to leave but Granite stays back to let the sunshine dry the tent, which is damp along the bottom.

The day starts with an 800 foot climb. I feel amazing as I climb, my legs strong and energetic. I daydream and plan and drink in the view of trees and distant mountains. I feel better today than I've felt in a week, maybe more. Maybe it's because we're lower now, closer to 9,000 feet, or maybe it's the long sleep, or maybe i'm just getting better at hiking. Whatever the reason, my feet fly over the ground.

I'm supposed to meet Granite at the road, but I see a dirt road and I'm worried this might be our meeting spot, even though it's too early. I stop to build him a trail marker with rocks so he knows I continued, and he catches up just as I finish.

We walk quickly the next two miles, and I'm sad to see Rt. 50 down below when we crest the hillside. I wanted to walk like this all day.

But we need our resupply package with food for the next leg, so we head down to the road. We thumb it, and within 15 minutes we are climbing into the open back of a pickup, me leaning back on Granite, wind whipping against us.

Our driver is friendly and wants to hear about the trail and tell us about his daughter, who is moving to Oakland. We chat a while and Granite realizes one of the lenses has fallen from his sunglasses. We search the back of the pickup but can't find it.

Monarch Mountain Lodge is a stale, sad hotel. It's got a tiny gift shop that the anxious woman at the front desk tells us she can run over to if we want to buy something.

Their restaurant is closed, which is annoying. I called twice from Denver because I heard on the Facebook group it would be closed, but the woman promised it would be open on Sunday. It's not, and the young woman is deeply apologetic and also a bit nervous when we ask her.

So. We check into our room, and decide to try to hitch to Salida for food. I hop in the shower while Granite goes to get our resupply package. He's back when I step out. The woman can't find our resupply package, even though she knows she saw it earlier.

Granite showers and then we go stand along the edge of Rt 50 and thumb it. The sun is blazing hot and it takes 20 minutes to get a ride, a sweet lesbian couple who smoke cigarettes and tell us about their kids and seem like the kind of people we'd like to be friends with. They drop us off at their favorite Mexican restaurant and I devour a veggie burrito in minutes.

Salida is hot and sunny, cute boutique stores and a nice outfitter. I call the Monarch Mountain Lodge and the harried woman tells me our resupply box hasn't appeared and that she has "asked every employee who hasn't quit since it arrived."

We meander Salida to gather supplies for our next leg, since the box seems to be lost. We also grab potato salad, cheese, fresh bread, and pineapple for dinner.

We stop by the Simple Hostel, a backpacker favorite, a raid their free hiker box for supplies. Sitting at the table when we walk in is Pika. We happily reunite and ask how she's getting on post-bear attack. She is smiley and relaxed, says she's taking two days before hitting the trail again. Her legs and hips are giving her issues and she needs to see a chiropractor.

Since we have so many groceries, we decide to take a taxi back to the hotel. We hang in a distillery drinking whiskey and sweating in the heat, conversation run dry, for half an hour. Then a taxi driver with sandy dreads to his waist and an aquiline nose arrives, wide smile. He says there's another passenger trying to get to the Lodge tonight, if we'll wait a bit we can split the fare.

We hang out at the bus station for 20 minute until the bus arrives. The new passenger is Woody and he's a truck driver from Georgia. Apparently one of the trucks was abandoned up at the Lodge and the company flew him up to drive it back.

Woody jokes about being the only black guy in Colorado and takes photos of the mountains with his phone. He asks the driver about Sasquatch.

"I don't tell everybody this story," the driver says, slowly. "But I was coming down that mountain over there—not the tall peak but the one next to it—and it was dusk, a few years ago. And I saw this thing crouched by the side of the road. I thought it was nothing at first, but then it took a step onto the road and stood up. And that step was completely silent. Then it went down off the side of the road, and rocks were falling. I thought I might have been seeing things but the rocks falling made me realize it was real."

He said it was 7 feet tall, maybe a bit more, and very hairy, but also gaunt. He said that he thought Sasquatch hung out on that mountain because there are hot springs there and it could stay warm.

Then we are back in the hotel, watching TV and doing laundry and sorting food. We stay up late watching Everest. I turn it off before everybody dies.









Comments