Day 19: So many types of rain

CW-2
~14.5 miles


I peek my eyes open and check the time. A bit after 4 AM. The tent is still gloomy. I need to pee but it's too cold so I snuggle into the sleeping bag and promise myself I'll get up after 5. The next time I check the time it's 5:30, and it's chilly but not unbearable. So I pull on my hat, puffy jacket, and hiking pants, and slip out of the tent. Granite is sound asleep when I first wake up, but my rustling awakens him and I can hear him unzipping his bag as I boil water for breakfast.

I want to be hiking at 7:15 but don't quite make it. I'm on the trail by 7:30, saying hello to North Bound thru hikers with long matching dreads.

The hike up Lake Ann Pass in the early morning is breathtaking. The shallow lake below is green where sunlight hits it, and the mountains behind and blue and grey and bright green where morning sunlight strikes pinetrees.

I have more energy today, probably because I forced myself to eat a full dinner and breakfast. Granite hangs back at the campsite a bit so I get to walk solo in the morning. I turn around again and again toto look at the morning mountains behind me. The climb is full of rough hewn tock and switchbacks

I get to the top and drop my pack, alone on a beautiful morning with views spreading out on either side. I carve R <3 A in the rocky sand at the top and then sit on my haunches and wait. Granite arrives and we climb up the side of one of the mountains so we're a bit above the pass.

Granite lost his notebook yesterday, somewhere after Hope Pass. I catch a bit of signal at the top of Lake Ann Pass and post a note on the Colorado Trail Thru Hiker Facebook group about it. Hopefully someone finds it and contacts me.

Another hiker joins us at the top. He's a long distance sort, like 20-23 miles per day and he's hiked hundreds of miles. He's friendly but heads down quickly. We follow, more leisurely.

The descent isn't too bad for the first few miles, though I'm always a bit slow downhill. We descend into pine forest before it's too hot; there are a few tendrils of clouds and a vague misty sense to the sky, but no thunderclouds. We dip into the forest and descend.

Today we see dirtbikes on the trail. We can hear them coming long before they arrive, and we climb off the trail as they careen down the trail at us, oily smell in their wake and buzz of the engine filling the forest. It's obnoxious, but I think it also looks fun. Granite and I debate which are more annoying: boyscouts, mountain bikes, or dirtbikes.

We separate for long hours, which is nice. I daydream and walk. The day is mild but swarms of black flies trail around me, making it difficult to stop. And the trail is technical, deep ruts and rocks of various sizes and mud and big drops. I walk with my poles most of the day to navigate the difficult terrain.

It's late when we finally get down off the descent and into the valley. My feet ache and the blister on the side of my left foot is twinging with every step. It's 3 PM and we're still miles from camp.

For the last hour or so, the sky threatens. Clouds build up in the afternoon while I am in the forest, with a few quick rainstorms. There's even hail for a bit—tiny white pebbles rolling against the trail. I join Granite at the bottom of the hill. He always looks at my pack cover to make sure it's on tight and yanks it into place.

We set out for the last few miles. We've been descending most of the day and now we have a gentle flat section and then another killer climb. The forest floor is pine needles and soft dirt, and my feet are so happy for the break.

We pass into a valley and skirt the edges of it. Bushes and small trees crowd over the trail and scratch my legs. A gentle scattering of rain builds and becomes a heavy, steady rain. Our shoes become soaked.

The rain gets heavier and we pause under a tree to make a rain skirt out of a flimsy white garbage bag. It's cool but not freezing and I watch Granite deftly pierce the bag with his knife.

Beyond this tree cover, the rain cascades down on a wide stream. Here the stream is blocked by beaver dams, so the water is wide and flat, the edges a murky mess of tall grasses. The rain pattering down makes a million tiny circles on the surface. The mound of the beaver hut rises from the water, mud and sticks in a strange earthen igloo, and beyond that are blue mountains shrouded in rain. All around us is the sound of countless droplets hitting tree and branch and water and dirt, and it's beautiful.

We walk on and it rains steadily for a mile, then lets up to a misting rain before we reach the stream crossing. After this, we have a 2 mile, 1500 foot climb. It's already 4:30 PM, and there are campsites here in the valley.

"Are you sure you want to climb 1500 feet tonight?" Granite asks. It's been a long day with all the rain.

"Fuck yeah," I say, "What else are we going to do tonight?"

He goes ahead and I follow, slower. My shoes are soaked through and my toes are cold. The rain jacket sticks to my arms and it feels like my arms are soaking even though I know they aren't.

The calm, misty rain makes the forest peaceful and verdant as I climb wet mulchy trail. The sap on the pine trees catches light, sparkles, till I have to stop and touch it. It's hard and waxy against my fingers.

I climb and climb, alone now with thoughts and dreams. The woods are filled with shapes that catch the corner of my eye—strange animals and movements, gone when I look directly. But I'm tired and the mind plays tricks. It's not a fearful sort of hallucination; it's just the strange way shadows come alive, not something to fear so much as something that strums at my curiosity.

A man in a blue raincoat comes down the pass. By now the rain has let up and I've got my rain jacket and skirt off, and I'm feeling cold droplets on my arms, neck, and face.

"Are you with the guy with the beard, all in grey?" the man asks.

"Yes," I say.

"He says to tell you that you're on the right path."

And then he leaves, down toward the valley while I climb alone into green, sparkly, shadowy, wet forest.

The land begins to level out and I can see the sky through the trees ahead. At last I'm on a clear, jutting bit of land, and I step clear of the trail a moment to stare up at big walls of bare mountain ahead. That's where we'll be all day tomorrow—above treeline, beyond the rocky pass.

I follow the path up again and it's still raining gently on my bare arms. The path levels off. Then in front of me I see 2 hiking poles and a green hat on a tree. I blink. Granite's. I look around and don't see him, but notice a faint social trail. I take the poles in one hand, put the hat on my head, and follow the trail.

It leads to a quiet pond surrounded by trees, and on the far side is our tent. Granite is just putting the last stakes in the ground. I walk over and meet him. He has small drops of rain in his beard. I fetch water from the pond, which is thick with debris and dead bugs. I get the mini sawyer and begin the awful task of filtering water while he heats a bit for dinner.

We sit on a log under thick tree branches to eat dinner. I was hungry before but now the pad Thai disgusts me and it takes me a long time to choke it down. My sodden feet are freezing and I take hot cocoa into the tent to try to warm. Wool socks, sleeping bag liner, sleeping bag, and my feet and toes are still freezing. It isn't until Granite comes in and I can press my toes to his legs that they warm up.

He rubs my sore upper back with long gentle strokes, and I pull the tightness from his calves, and we listen to the gentle patter of the rain on the rainfly. There is no wind.















Comments