Day 22: Sleeping by a waterfall

Segment 14
~15 miles

Granite is up around 6 but I bury myself in the sleeping bag. Finally I get up, maybe 20 minutes later, groggy, to go find the campground latrine.

It's a narrow wooden box, old, vaguely reminiscent of a coffin. The toilet is low to the ground, a dark pit within, and there are screened vents along the floor. I prop the door open with a rock for light.

I am not at all hungry and so I slip back into my sleeping bag. Eventually I rouse enough to nibble a clif bar and Granite drops a mug of chai off with me. I sip and read and try not to think about getting up.

Pika is by our tent shortly. It's not even 7 yet. She wants to know if we've seen anything. Granite talks to her, since he's dressed and outside of the tent. Apparently her pack was stolen at 3 AM last night. She heard what she thought was her pack being snapped on, but when she got up they were gone. Maybe a bear, but she fears it was a human. She's scouting the campground looking for any trace.
Within 30 minutes, she's found the pack and brought it to a picnic table near us to sort. A bear had stolen it. It had ripped the back brace out of the pack, stolen her food, pierced her Nalgene bottle, and snuffled through the rest. I watch her sort her stuff. She has a metal kettle for tea, now dented with tooth marks. She has boxes of Amy's Mac & Cheese, a thin glass bottle of Apple Liquor she's saving for the end, an inflatable lantern. Granite tells me she also has a camp chair, but that she hasn't been able to figure out anything that she can send home. Seeing her pack, I feel so much better about mine, which I'm always embarrassed has extravagances like camp shoes and journals and gloves. Granite tells me that her pack weighs 50 lbs, and I am amazed she can carry it. I struggle to walk with any pack over 37 lbs. My pack generally weighs between 20-30 lb, depending on food and water, and even that is a struggle.

Pika is a hippie with long braids, many earrings, and brightly colored scarves. She is confident, quick to laugh, and very open. I like her immediately and appreciate her smiling reaction to the bear attack. She decides to go back to Mt. Princeton Resort and use their store to restock food. She'll try to wash her pack, which now smells a bit fishy, at a future resupply point.

I'm walking just after 7:30, and Granite will catch up in a couple hours. The day starts with a forested climb, but there are switchbacks and it's not too challenging. The chalk cliffs behind me are beautiful, wreathed in ever-changing, misty clouds and aglow with morning light. I turn around often to look, but my iPhone camera can't capture it.

The walking is easy. Really easy. The trail is smooth and well-maintained, so my feet can move quickly. The terrain is flat for a few miles, then becomes rolling.

I was so loathe to walk the Eastern Collegiate, believing it would be a tunnel of trees. But it's far from it. The trees are sparse and have wide breaks where I can see mountains across the valley to the west.

I'm tired and a bit slow moving, but the path is walkable and so the miles fly by. Granite catches me at 10:30 AM, and then we walk together for a bit. We meet mountain bikers and two beautiful Weimaraners, and we tell folks we meet about our trip. I have so many conversations with strangers on this trip. And in my real life—can I call it that?—conversations with others, especially strangers, can wear on me. I constantly long for silence and solitude. But on the trail, company is always a serendipitous meeting of new friends. So many are out on the trail like us trying to find something. I feel connected to them and to the trail in some indefinable way.

We stop on a hilltop a bit after noon and I lie down on a rock and doze. I'm so tired I immediately drop off to sleep.

My shoulders and upper back are achy, I think because I'm wearing my pack funny. But the pain isn't unbearable, and it's only my back. My feet I worry about and fuss over, but a back is just a back.

My feet, by the way, love the Eastern Collegiate. I am not wearing leukotape over my blisters, for the first time since we started the trip. I just have the one big blister on the outside of my left food, and it doesn't ache. I don't need to dip my feet in icy streams or swallow ibuprofen. And the fact that swarms of black flies aren't surrounding me also endears this trail to me.

We end the day by slipping down into a deep valley. There's a campground here called Angel of Shavano, and we can look up and see the towering green cliffs of Mt. Shavano above us. It's close to 5 PM and we've walked 15 miles. We could keep walking another 5 and arrive at Rt 50 by 7:30 PM, hitch to the Monarch Mountain Lodge before 8 for dinner. We booked a room for tonight, and they have our resupply package, and our feet feel fine to cover 20 miles today.

But I'm not ready for the real world of Internet access and text messages again, and it feels right and nourishing to be walking all day in the woods. I want a small simple dinner and to stretch out on a thin sleeping pad. I want this night in the woods more than a hotel, and more than I want to walk 20 miles.

The Angel of Shavano campground is full. We talk to the campground host, a kind middle-aged woman, and she tells us there is dispersed camping up the stream by the waterfall. We walk along the road and reach the stream, follow it to a wide, flat campsite with sitting logs and a fire ring. We are just above a roaring, frolicking stream, and the noise fills the air so that we have to speak up to hear one another.

Granite pitches the tent and I fetch and sterilize water. I sit at the edge of the stream watching how sunlight reflects of the water to the underside of the rock walls bordering the creek. Fat ants crawl around my water bottles.

We eat early and curl into bed, the rushing stream sound filling our tent. I don't even get my sleeping bag arranged the way I want it before I'm dead asleep.



















Comments